Tuesday 30 October 2012

Putting myself into Roger Federer's Shoes

The clouds made way for a great sunny day at London. I was pleased by the cooperation of the weather insuring an entertaining day at the first day of the Wimbledon 2004. The lively environment filled the air with happiness.

I was waiting in the dressing room my mind focused as ever reflecting on my preparation for this match. This match against Alex Bogdanovic was going to be a tough fight. Million things that kept hovering around my mind. The changing room the only area where I can open up and express my feelings. Will my effort pay of?  Will I do well? Those questions detoured my focus.

As the clock struck noon two smartly dressed gentlemen took me past the Clubhouse and into the entrance of what appeared an electrifying crowd. All the excitement I had gathered for the match was lost. My mind went blank. The only thing functioning properly was heart keeping me alive with every heartbeat.

My adrenaline was pumping, my heart was beating as I received a very warm welcome entering the center court. I may have seemed calm and composed, yet the thoughts of the tough competition up ahead of me kept my mind busy. I was delighted by the loud and cheerful audience. This is what I love about Wimbledon, the crowds are like the backbone of the players keeping their spirits high even at the times of the players low. Centre Court’s traditionally buttoned-up atmosphere is the highlight of this tournament. Wimbledon's most iconic arena is regarded, rightly or wrongly, as one of sport's most fair crowds. Being in London and at the Wimbledon everyone was very well dressed, men in suits and women in formal dresses. Most of the people were munching of strawberries a Wimbledon tradition. I was happy to be here, this being my favourite grand slam, but at the same time, I was nervous. My fans have high expectations from me but after all I am human and can be overcome.

The umpire called us to the net for the toss. My opponent Alex seemed very serious and focused, a sign of a good tennis player. I tried to remain in my “ zone” throughout the pre match photos. Alex and I could have been mistaken for best friends in our attitude towards each other. This is what I love about this game, competition and emotions do not affect the complexion of the match. I had lost the toss and was put in to serve first.

Here I was in the midst of the biggest the spectacle the sport has to offer. I was determined and focused as I stood in front of 20,000 people ready to serve.  My heart beating, my soul racing, my body pumped. Serving first has always been a challenge for me.
After an eventful first game I managed to take hold of it and it boosted my confidence. For the very beginning we both knew that this match is not not going to go without a fight. Every point played was do or die.

The break approached, a great time for me to relax. The feeling of the cold energy drink hitting the dry throat was exceptional. I sat on the warm chair thinking about tactics and a change in my game The period after the break is the most tedious. Your body is all cooled down and then after that you find yourself playing competitive tennis and the highest spectacle of this sport. I just loose all my focus in the break. In the next few games I had completely lost track of my game, results of lacking in focus. Who says sportsmen never lose focus? I was frustrated game, not able to consolidate on the slow play of Alex. The crowds kept cheering towards a fair game. This was the only thing that kept me from stopping. After a tiring first set I won it eventually. All of sudden all of my confidence can back to me. I was feeling great. This is the beauty of the game, unpredictability that can completely change the complexion of the match.

With my confidence high as ever I as serving to commence the second the set. It was all working for me. My service was fast and deep tough for Alex to gather a return. In the game Alex did not even return of of serve. I was glad. All sportsmen play the best when they are confident not when they are timid, in their nut case. I was getting the feeling that the match that was so called competitive was pretty much one sided. Judging by the look on Alex's face I am pretty sure he has mentally given up, a great sign for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment